Monday, July 7, 2014

Runaway Characters



Characters can be so weird at times. They have a mind of their own and some can't stand being pushed around. They'll have it their way and that's final - they won't listen to anyone and they'll get into conflict with other characters and even with the narrator if they have to defend their style. It's surprising that some characters are so strong and determined in their way that they'll run away from the story so that not even the narrator can find them. I didn't know they could do that until one of my own did this. So, to avoid delays in writing a story because the hero ran away, I find it more convenient to just create the situation, let the characters in and enjoy the show from a safe distance. They make the story anyway, so why barge in like a control freak and spoil their party? This picture came to mind while I was reflecting on the runaway characters. I thought it would be fun to add a little color to my usual cartoons.

By the way, this painting is made with Tayasui Sketches.